Friday, September 28, 2012

My new favourite thing to make...Biscotti


I have started to write my posts in Word first, and then copy and save them to the computer as more than one has fallen victim to a dodgy work internet connection. And I’m pretty sure I’m not allowed to a)shout and swear as loudly as I’d like and b) throw the stupid computer against a wall. According to Marty I’m never allowed to do b) so I throw the stapler instead. Coincidently, I broke the stapler during one of these tantrums and it didn’t staple properly for ages – it’s to be expected, but on a subsequent tirade I fixed it again by throwing it even harder on the floor and it all bounced back into place. This does not work for everything, but remotes and staplers appear to respond well. I can also check my word count on Word, which is more based on curiosity and some future references than anything else. I digress. I’m going to tell you about my biscotti making experience. A highly enjoyable experience to say the least and I think I’ll repeat it soon to see if I can get it right twice. That is the thing about baking, getting it right every time, or as in the case of my famous brownies, getting it better every time!

So, I found numerous recipes and then found one on www.taste.com.au that was only 4 steps and had great reviews. It was to accompany a very chocolaty dessert so I needed something that wasn’t too sweet or overpowering, and maybe had a slightly tart fruit. And didn’t have pistachios. EVERY biscotti has pistachios (because they look cool with the green – says Marty!)And pistachios are ridiculously expensive shelled and time-consuming not. If you’ll remember the M’Hanncha from a Christmas post I sat and shelled all the pistachios then. Not again. It was fine as I was sitting outside drinking champagne, but I certainly had better things to do this time. I thought, 4 steps, easy-peasy, I was warned of the time-consuming nature of making biscotti but set to work anyway. It is time-consuming, but not in any way different to making biscuits or baking a cake. When you bake a cake you mix the ingredients, bake the cake, let it cool, ice it, decorate it and then eat it. This is a whole day affair. Biscuits need to be made in batches unless you have a commercial kitchen or oven. And biscotti needs to be baked a second time.

We were having the dinner party in the evening, and had been so thoroughly organised, that while Marty enjoyed rewatching the All Blacks rugby game and then watching another game – Wallabies maybe? – I could get stuck into the kitchen quietly and on my own. I did seek his professional opinion through some of the process, probably only because he was there, but now having made it myself I feel equipped to repeat the process and know what to look for. I have become accustomed to attempting challenging recipes set out by Gordon (Ramsay) and Jamie (Oliver) and both offer advice as to how things should look, feel, smell, etc when they are at different stages. That’s the one thing this recipe lacked, but maybe I can impart some of that knowledge. Ready for the recipe?

What you’ll need:

2 cups plain flour, sifted
1 ½ tsps Baking powder
½ cup dried cranberries
2/3 cup raw almonds, I chopped mine a little
½ cup caster sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten with a fork


What to do:
1.       Preheat the oven to 160deg.

2.       Place 2 cups sifted plain flour in a large bowl with 1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder (I sifted it all together), ½ cup dried cranberries, 2/3 cup raw almonds and ½ cup castor sugar. Combine and create a well in the middle. This will make it much easier to mix.

3.       Add the 3 eggs and mix until well combined. It will be a dough, but not too dry. Mine was on the stickier side as it had been dry and I’d added another egg – Thanks Marty! I did need to add more flour as well. I also added 2 tsps of cinnamon to the dry ingredients and a little more cranberries.

4.       Transfer the dough to an even work surface, lightly dusted with flour and knead with your hands until smooth. This did not take long. I had mixed everything quite well and didn’t want to over-knead it.  Shape into a log and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Press along top of log to flatten slightly. Because of my extra egg my loaf spread as little. In the future I may half the mixture and make 2 smaller logs and they did spread during cooking. This made for lovely long pieces on biscotti, but they could have been smaller.

5.       Bake for 30 minutes, remove from oven and cool.

6.       Cut log into 1cm-thick slices, place on baking tray and cook for another 12-15 minutes until hard.

Yes, the recipe I’ve given you is longer than 4 steps, but that’s because I’ve broken up a couple of the steps. And I’m going to change step 6 completely!

I do not like my biscotti thick and unmanageable. Left to Marty they would have been 1mm thick, but I think mine were between 3-5mm thick. Perfect in my opinion. Not too thin to break apart when used with the dessert and not to thick that you couldn’t bite through them.

I did them in batches as the slices need to be lain flat on the baking tray. I put them in for about 10minutes then turned the pieces over for another 3minutes. My oven has a hot spot in the back left hand corner so the tray generally needs to be rotated anyway. I think they were perfectly cooked!


 

Once cooled they were ready to serve. I loved them and quite enjoyed these biscotti.  Commercial biscotti I often find over-sweet and this had a nice tang to it. My boss – not a biscotti lover- actually rang me after I’d given her some to let me know it was the best she’d ever had and I should think about giving up my day job – to baking. Since I manage her store, I’m not sure if she was aware of the implications, but suffice to say I’d love to spend my day baking goods and selling them! So if you have a restaurant /cafĂ© that want some biscotti I’ll make you a free trial and you can buy it from me if you love it!

 

I thoroughly enjoyed my biscotti-making experience, and I’d definitely do it again. I’d like to experiment with other flavours and ingredients and see if there are any other recipes out there. If anyone has a suggestion for me I’d love to hear from you.
 
Ciao
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment